Over on Facebook, author Mel Sterling tagged a bunch of us to list ten books that had stayed with us over the years. So here’s my list, the first that come to mind tonight, in no certain order:
- Mara, Daughter of the Nile by Eloise McGraw Jarvis – first read it in elementary school and guess what inspired me to write romance set in ancient Egypt?
- Catseye by Andre Norton, the first science fiction book I ever read, given to me by my Dad and oh, guess what inspired me to write my own science fiction and add romance? Actually, her Beast Master, Eye of the Monster and The Last Planet have stayed with me, as well. I still have ALL my old ACE paperbacks of her books.
- Year of the Unicorn, again Andre Norton, but set in her Witch World.
- Restoree and Dragonriders of Pern, along with a lot of other Pern books by Anne McCaffrey.
- Frederica, Cotillion, These Old Shades, The Talisman Ring – all by Georgette Heyer.
- Shield of Winter and Caressed by Ice, from Nalini Singh’s Psy-Changeling series.
- Alpha & Omega and Hunting Ground, and a lot of the Mercy Thompson books by Patricia Briggs.
- Natural Law by Joey W. Hill
- Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank – till my favorite End Of The World As We Know It novel.
- A Night To Remember by Walter Lord – always fascinated by tales of Titanic.
Honorable Mention to The Lark Shall Sing by Elizabeth Cadell, The Nabob’s Widow by Elsie Lee and This Rough Magic by Mary Stewart.